Necessity is the mother of invention. Beth was planning to fly solo with her 7-month-old daughter and couldn’t figure out how to carry everything on and off the plane. Baby carriers were not as widely available as they are today, so she decided to make her own. The trip went smoothly and the mei tei she made was exactly what she needed to keep her hands free and baby close. While out-and-about, people started to notice the practical and stylish design. At first, a few were made for friends, but demand started to grow and Catbird Baby was born. A few years later, Beth and her friend and designer Marion Scott collaborated on a mei tai-inspired buckle carrier. They called it the pikkolo, a German word for a quarter bottle of champagne - something small and special - just like a new baby. Since the pikkolo's debut, they also added the patented toddlerwearing support belt, which transforms the pikkolo or mei tai into a lower-sitting, structured waist carrier, as well as the original winter weather cover for wide/ergonomic carriers.
Pikkolo Soft Structured Carrier
- NO INFANT INSERT REQUIRED!!!
- The only carrier with high-performance premium memory foam in the shoulder straps, which allows for a snug, secure fit that molds to your body without bulk.
- Unpadded waist is worn higher on the body; easier to sit, more comfortable for moms recovering from birth (no abdominal pressure), keeps baby high and close ("visible and kissable") in natural in-arms position
- Our unique tapered shoulder strap shape is more comfortable when you back carry (less bulk under your arm)
- Dual-adjustable buckles mean you never have to pull up and back to tighten your straps
- Adjustable base allows you cinch the carrier width to perfectly fit your baby from day one and enables an ergonomic facing forward carry
- Five carrying positions take you from newborn to toddler (8 to 40 lbs.)
- Attached sleeping hood tucks into its own pocket for storage and rolled-up hood offers neck support for newborns without obscuring the face
- Straps cross in an X on your back for a front carry for maximum comfort and ease of use
- Feels like a wrap (cuddly and close), but with the convenience and ease of premium Duraflex buckles